Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pomodoro e Peperoncino Sauce

I love to cook and now that Margo is a bit older, I have been trying to accomplish one or two healthy meals a week.

Since I love to cook so much, I decided... why not share?? So... this Sunday I made an oldie, but goodie. I had forgotten just how good it was and Cary and I enjoyed every last bite. This recipe was given to me many years ago by my sister, Laura, and what I like about it is that includes an array of vegetables in all of the color groups with the healthy fat of EVOO. Once it's all blended together, the veggies are disguised and are really what gives this such amazing flavor! It's worth trying even though it requires lots and lots of stirring. Enjoy!

Pomodoro e Peperoncino Sauce
¾ c. olive oil
2 c. roughly chopped red onion
½ c. roughly chopped celery
½ c. roughly chopped carrot
3 cloves garlic, peeled
½ t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 t. red pepper flakes (if you have kids I would reduce to 1/4 t. or none, as it can be pretty spicy)
10 fresh basil leaves

Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add next 6 ingredients & cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes & red pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low & cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Add basil leaves to sauce & process in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve over cooked pasta of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment