Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Goodbye to my Beautiful Guy

Tucker, Tucks, Tuckies, Biggie Smalls, Bigs, Fatty, Big Man, Big Boy… just to name a few of our many names for the greatest cat on earth! Last week I said goodbye to my 16 year old companion, my first baby, my love, my Tucker.

To say that I am heartbroken is an understatement. I have never grieved like this before and it is almost too much to bear. I was so confused and surprised by my pain that I Googled it, thinking I must be crazy. It is clear I am not. Some people grieve for their animals more than some relatives or friends. Now I know why… Tucker knew me in the most intimate ways, he loved me unconditionally like only a pet can, I shared my dreams, fears, sorrows and deepest secrets with him, he was in my presence almost every day, every moment, for the past 16 years. Before Margo was born, I must have pet him at least two hours a day, if not more… talk about bonding.

My mom reminded me that it was “love at first sight” with Tucker and I. In my senior year of high school, she brought him home after another traumatic death of a precious kitten we had, Rosco. To say that Tucker was the sweetest, cutest ball of fur was an understatement. He clearly missed his mama, but I quickly took her place as he buried his little face in my hair, just like he would his mama’s fur, and began to purr away. This quickly became ritual and we never stopped sharing in our love in this beautiful way… up until his very final moments in this world. His place was on my chest, head buried in my hair, and I am hoping this was his favorite place on earth and gave him peace and comfort in his final moments. I certainly could not have asked for a more special, parting memory.

Tucker was from a trailer park, but you would have never known it. After a few years of attacking feet and biting ankles, chasing balls and playing the day away, he matured into quite the sophisticate! Think cat on Fancy Feast commercial… think Tucker! He loved to sit like a royal subject, cross pawed, demanding ice in his water, kitty massages and only the finest treatment. For as much as he expected, he gave even more in return. So many cats are aloof and unfriendly and this often gives them a bad reputation. Not Tucker, he loved us so much that he wanted to be with us all of the time. His favorite place was on our laps and in our presence. He purred non-stop and was just an amazing, wonderful, beautiful cat!


As Tucker grew fatter and more sedentary, maxing out at 22 lbs, he didn’t like to play much. He did, however, love to chase a foil ball and would come running at the sound of crinkling foil. He loved to watch the birds and would chirp back at them in the cutest way that sounded like a mix between chirping and meowing. He loved to lay in the sun or anywhere warm and cozy. Cary and I often joked that Tucker always knew how to find the most comfortable spot in the house. A unique trait about Tucker is that he came when you whistled. He was so personable and loyal, he really had more of a personality of a dog!

Tucker is truly a part of my identity. He followed me to college, through marriage, four moves and now was here for the birth of our precious Margo. He was curious about her, never ever mean despite her repeated hair pulling and you could tell he wanted to protect her. He would come running in the room where she was crying and get upset himself. No cat or animal in the world could ever replace him and I know I am going to have an empty spot in my heart for a long long time.

I have to give a shout out to West Alabama Animal Clinic. They have always provided Tucker with the most wonderful care. He HATED the vet to say the least, but I could tell they always made him feel really comfortable and helped him stay as calm as possible. They were so great in his final days and beyond, coming to our home to put him down, providing a hair clipping, paw print and a beautiful card. Cary’s cousin, Kim, works there and we may have received a tiny bit of special treatment, but I know they do these things for all of their clients and I highly recommend them to anyone. I could not have picked a better vet to help us send our boy to heaven and I am so grateful to all of our family and friends for the wonderful support during this difficult time.

Hug your animals a little tighter tonight and don’t take them for granted. Remember that our pets are extra special and love us in ways that humans cannot. I will never ever forget my Tucker and I thank God for the blessing of my 16 years with him each and every day.

2 comments:

  1. Big big hugs from the Rays. That is our vet at home. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a good life that cat had!! he was loved so much and he knew it!

    ReplyDelete