Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Conclude, Margo LOVES Food!

Since I started Margo on solids, I have been so grateful that it has been so easy and she has liked so much of the food I offer her. I have been making all of her baby food, 100% organic, and have truly enjoyed feeding her such a healthful diet. I was a very picky child, to say the least, and Margo is quite the opposite.

Some of the cool combinations she has really enjoyed are peas, edamame and apples, carrot and ginger, apples or pears with pomegranate, peach and apricot and so many more! I even made her French lentils.

In the past 2-3 weeks, I have been giving her more and more finger foods. She only has about two purees a day as an addition to her finger food meal. Now that she can feed herself (sort of—I help a lot), I think she is enjoying food even more, although sometimes the textures throw her off. Watermelon was not a hit, but we will try it again and fresh green beans were too tough, but the canned ones were gross and salty to her.

Here is what Margo ate today:

Breakfast: Teething biscuit, kiwi and cinnamon apples with oatmeal


Lunch: Puffs, chicken, a few French fries from mommy’s lunch, edamame and blueberries


Dinner: Whole wheat pasta, chicken, sweet potato fries, asparagus and peaches

Usually, she eats every last bite and LOVES it! Feeding time in our house is a fun time. We play music, act silly and laugh a lot! It is my time to sit in front of Margo and interact with her when she is not distracted by her toys and other things which I love… but hate the clean-up! On a side note, Margo does not like to drink her bottle. These days, we are doing great if she eats 18 ounces a day, which is the equivalent of three 6 oz. bottles. Hopefully she is getting the extra nutrients she needs in her food.

I find that feeding her only finger foods is a bit harder because I can’t exactly feed her off of my plate yet. Once we can introduce dairy and eggs, it will be easier. Margo still loves her purees, so the dilemma is… do I keep making the purees and feed them in addition to finger foods or move on and switch exclusively to finger foods. Moms, what did you do?

1 comment:

  1. I would continue on with the purees for as long as she will eat them. Slowly make them less pureed and more chunky. I think I stopped the purees too quickly and Olivia won't eat many veggies anymore. She loved pureed veggies. You can also start dumping the purees over solids later so there is a mix.

    ReplyDelete