Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Lazy Afternoons on our Babymoon!

To say that I have the most generous, thoughtful sisters on earth is an understatement! Knowing that Cary and I had not been on a real vacation alone together since our honeymoon, they graciously gifted us with a trip of our choice! In the early planning stages, we talked about going to Mexico and even tossed around a trip to the mountains, but when my body decided to be fertile myrtle, I knew I wanted nothing more than to sit on the beach--the perfect babymoon! You can’t get much more beautiful than the Emerald Coast and although we had been there with our family before, it was an easy choice. We wanted some place that we could get to quickly, was safe and most importantly, relaxing. The details were left up to my sisters and our trip was very much a big surprise!

The night before we were supposed to leave, disaster struck! Margo started vomiting at midnight and was sick all night long. I held her all night not sleeping even five minutes, let her throw-up all over me and prayed this was the short lived virus that had been going around. The last time she got sick was 5 am and although she had had a few bouts of diarrhea, she was eating and happy with no fever, so we made the decision to go ahead and leave her. I even went so far as to call the doctor for advice and make sure we were not being irresponsible parents for leaving Margo. Despite missing us, she did great for my sister throughout our trip, but did infect my sweet niece with her nasty bug and left my poor sister with a few leaky diaper messes to clean up. This was our first stomach bug and it was awful… I hope we don’t have many of those!

Back to our trip… It was AMAZING, relaxing, rejuvenating and wonderful across the board. The morning we dropped off Margo, my sister had a sweet little gift bag for us with directions and instructions on where we were going with several generous little gifts included. Destination… Rosemary Beach, and we were exhausted from a rough night but beyond excited! I had been shopping in Rosemary Beach before, but had forgotten how beautiful and romantic it was with the amazing little streets, beautiful architecture, landscaping, white beaches and more! Our little carriage house was so perfect! It was decorated so beautifully, I wish I could have taken all of the contents home with me. The bed was so comfy, the shower was wonderful and it was the best location. The main house was beach front right next to a walkover, so we could go out the door, through the court yard and were on the beach in a matter of a minute. We didn’t even need to really pack a bag with our awesome umbrella covered chairs that awaited us each day!


The neat architecture--every house is different!


We did not have the best weather, but our time on the beach was wonderful and I found the best seashells ever! I think Cary thought I was nuts spending all that time hunting seashells with my preggo belly sticking out and my ridiculous cleavage staring down at everyone! The shells were just too good to ignore and I found a few that were like something you could buy in a store! I can’t wait to clean-up my little collection and put it in a pretty dish as a memory. I went to bed early being the lame-o pregnant girl I am and woke up early for walks on the beach. I loved spending the afternoons resting on the beach and then taking all the time in the world to shower and get ready. I sure did miss Margo, but the break was so refreshing and peaceful!

19 Weeks Pregnant= One hot mama!
 

Cary swimming!

Still in love after 11 beautiful years!

Day One Seashells

My sweet sisters also gifted us with gift certificates to several yummy restaurants! We ate so many amazing things, fresh seafood and decadent desserts, I thought I was going to pop everyday! Good thing I have a great excuse in eating for two. Our favorite restaurants were a little tapas and chocolate place called La Crema that was exotic and fun to try. Our food was incredible, but OMG the chocolate desserts were beyond my imagination! We had a hot molten cake with a peanut butter center and warm chocolate cookies with an amazing espresso cream in the middle. I wish I could go back right now just talking about it! Our last night was also at a tiny little place called George’s at Alys Beach that we had heard a couple raving about on the beach and boy were they right! I had the surf and turf with an expertly cooked and seasoned filet, fried lobster tails and a perfect crab cake! There was not one meal on our trip we didn’t thoroughly enjoy from fried shrimp and cheesy grits to the nachos and pizza we ordered in for the Texas game on Saturday night. I had a beautifully grilled grouper, a fried green tomato BLT to die for and an amazing raspberry, almond tart among many other things. Can you tell I appreciate good food???


We enjoyed shopping at our leisure, reading our books and I think Cary loved watching football without me nagging him to turn it off. Most of all, we enjoyed each other and getting to talk without interruption or being too exhausted to talk at all. We woke up slowly in the morning and enjoyed coffee together, we had long walks up and down the beach and just really soaked in the moment. It is easy to get lost in the shuffle of life and kids, especially where marriage is concerned, so this little trip and break was wonderful for us. The fabulous accommodations, beaches, food and shopping were all over the top, but the gift my sisters gave us in our time together and the ability to forget about it all and relax was absolutely invaluable! We are blessed beyond measure and there are no words that could ever thank them enough for their thoughtfulness and generosity.

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is drooling reading about all the yummy food! Loved what you wrote about marriage getting lost in the shuffle sometimes. It is so nice you got the time to just relax and enjoy each other. Isn't love grand?! :)

    ReplyDelete