Saturday, November 30, 2013

October Feats and Treats!

October was a great month at the Weaver house.  The cooler weather was welcomed with almost daily walks, trips to the park, a visit to my dad and of course Halloween!

For those who know me quite intimately, I have been held back by an old anxiety for many years.  It is something I have been deeply embarrassed by and have tried to hide at all costs.  It is something that has held me back and driven a number of choices we have made, always trying to accommodate my ridiculous problem. After a car accident back in college, I subsequently suffered a severe panic attack driving home for Thanksgiving.  That single panic attack resulted in years of fear over driving alone on road trips and on the interstate.  Slowly, I got over the interstate considering I lived in Houston, but stayed within my little box and never ventured far.  Long story short, this month I decided I had to get past it to be the best example to my kids and the healthiest, most able mom possible.  I drove, five hours, to my dad's new beautiful lake house at Lake Sam Rayburn!!
His girls...

So happy to swing!


David LOVED the boat ride!

...and the swing!

David's look alike, Uncle Pat!

Wind blown...

It did not come without anxiety, but my dad and his wife were kind enough to meet me half way, mainly to help with the kids and I DID IT!  I must say, I am proud of myself.  If you only knew the internal stuggle that has gone on inside of me and the shame I have felt because of this, you would know that this is huge for me.  It is a step in the right direction and while I still feel quite a bit of fear about driving the unknown, I know I can conquer it.  Two weeks later, Margo and I drove to Houston.  I am officially no longer imprisoned by my driving issue and I feel so much freer, AMEN!

Halloween was great!  Margo selected a Raggedy Ann costume over all of the other fancy costumes in Chasing Firefly.  I think it fit her personality perfectly and I was so delighted that she picked something wholesome and innocent instead of the typical character, princess or fairy.  She looked like a real live doll and I had so much fun helping her dress up.  She was equally excited by her adorable costume!




GiGi carving pumpkins!

Daddy concentrating on his carving skills!

She went to school on Halloween and had a little costume parade that I shortly attended because the moment she saw me, enormous tears erupted.  I quickly hugged her and snuck out before I caused any additional stress.  My mother-in-law was visiting that week, which was a huge help as always and I know she enjoyed experiencing Halloween with kids, but we missed our annual trick-or-treating with my sister's family.  The weather was too bad to travel and we drove up to Houston the next day. 



...and then she saw mama!

That night Cary and I took her around our neighborhood which was wonderful.  Every single family was out, mostly with young children, and it was a beautiful, clear night.  Margo was not as shy as I expected and quickly got into the swing of things.  She sweetly chimed "trick-or-treat" at every doorstep and was so excited about her growing bucket of candy!  We covered about 2.5 blocks and then grabbed GiGi for a few stops so she could join in the fun as well. 






David slept through the doorbell and Halloween traffic like a baby and was none the wiser for it.  He donned his cute little Halloween jammies, but I decided against a costume, thinking it just wasn't necessary for one photo op... although Raggedy Ann AND Andy would have been adorable! Another year of Halloween memories were made and it is special moments like these that make being a parent especially fun!  I find my serious self acting like a kid again over excitement for all the fun that awaits our kids. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I need ur new mailing address. Just email me.
    amandacur@yahoo.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margo looks so beautiful in those Halloween photos.

    ReplyDelete