Friday, May 28, 2010

Week 21 – Glucose Schmucose

This week I had my glucose tolerance test and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I was really worrying about it because if I do not eat in the morning or have too much sugar, I often get hypoglocemic. I was afraid I would be passing out, but that was not the case at all. I drank my “fruit punch” like a champ, literally chugging it in less than one minute… because some of you may know from our college days, I can chug like a champ—hee hee! I disregarded the taste completely and was able to keep it down.

The doctor’s office was freezing, so I headed outside to a park bench, read my book and headed back for the blood test. All the while, I felt perfectly fine, other than being hungry. Given the ease of the test, I am hoping that means I passed it with flying colors. On my way to work, I literally inhaled a breakfast taco and was good to go for the day—yaay! I will find out Tuesday if I passed.

On other fronts, the past few weeks have been a bit trying for a number of reasons. There have been some difficult family circumstances beyond our control that have seemed to pile on at once. One being, we just learned that Cary’s beloved grandfather (photo below) has advanced lung cancer. He is 86 and is already severely under weight. Without treatment, he has three months to live, but they are experimenting with some treatment options. Cary wanted more than anything for his grandpa to make it to Margo’s birth, just to hold her one time, but only the good Lord knows what is best and we will rely on His divine plan. All of these issues have been stressing me out a bit even though I am generally a pretty calm person, so… with stress comes insomnia.

I have been battling major insomnia on and off throughout this pregnancy, but this week I cannot seem to get it under control. I would say in a span of five nights, I have slept a total of 13 hours. Pre-pregnancy, I was the kind of person that had to have my eight hours, however I am coping with this lack of sleep pretty well. I did take off my first day of work since pregnancy on Wednesday and was just glad I didn’t have to battle trying to stay awake in front of a computer. I have been allowing myself to take Benadryl every few weeks, but this last time it didn’t do the trick. I hope God isn’t preparing me for a major challenge with Margo. Both of my parents keep reminding me that “payback is heck”—ha ha!

All in all though, life is good and we are so incredibly blessed. We just need a few extra prayers right now and having a long weekend ahead of us helps as well! On a side not, our friends, Deidra and Brian, had a pre-term baby girl this week, two months early. Little Alexis was born weighing 3 lbs. 10 oz., but is doing incredibly well. Please keep all of them in your prayers because I cannot imagine the stress and fear in what they are going through. They are one beautiful and strong family and I know God is going to take extra special care of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment