Friday, June 4, 2010

Week 22 - Margo's Room

Since the day I found out it was a girl, I started planning Margo’s room. For the first 18 weeks of my pregnancy, I was convinced it was a boy and had everything planned accordingly. Much to my surprise, Baby Weaver was a girl and oh’ what fun to make a girly room!

I love birds and butterflies and all things nature, but really wanted to do something with birds. I initially thought I would want a lot of color and a lot of birds, but as I started looking around, I realized I liked things much simpler. After putting together a few options and obtaining various opinions of others, I settled on my first and favorite choice. Problem is it is also the most expensive option, but thanks to our generous and loving family, we are going to be able to pull it off! My sister is giving us her beautiful crib and changing table, along with a moses basket and an array of other things, such as the swing, exersaucer, play gym, etc... My dad bought the glider and my in-laws bought the chandelier! How lucky are we??? I feel truly humbled by everyone’s kindness and generosity!

So… here is a sampling of what we will be putting together.

Never in my wildest imagination did I think I would be doing so much white! I have very little white in our house, but I loved the clean crispness of it. It is hard to see, but the accent color in the crib sheet is aqua, thus the touch of blue in the room, as I am not into all pink. The chair is slipcovered so it can be washed and now my biggest debate is the rug. As you can see, I have picked two options:

1) Shaggy white rug
2) Woven rug with matching pink border

I prefer the shaggy (which was pictured with the bedding), white rug, but I think Tucker, the cat, is going to love it and it will end up with throw-up stains before I know it! I am afraid the outside border of the other rug will contrast too much with the border at the bottom of the crib skirt. Should I forego a rug altogether since the room is carpeted? Any thoughts/suggestions?

The bird appliqué for the wall can be custom ordered, as can the mobile, so those will be in different colors. Cary’s grandfather, who is ill, has also painted us some sweet little bird houses for the room! We are not painting the room because we are hoping we won’t be in this house too much longer and Cary feels it is better to keep things neutral for resale. I can’t wait to see it all come together. Right now the current room is a junk heap of all of Cary’s things… boxes of books, pictures, etc…--the old contents of his study when we had a bigger house. We got storage for his stuff and he is sad that the house is officially “no longer his, run by girls”. I feel bad, but unfortunately that’s just the way the cookie crumbles. Our house is so small that we had to put half of my clothes in a canvas closet in the guest room (the attic isn’t tall enough and it is a complete eyesore) to make room for some of Cary’s things in the guest bedroom closet. I am sure all of these adjustments will be well worth our sweet Margo and it is always nice to clean things out!

Everything will be moved to storage in the next few weeks, then we will get new carpet and then we will start putting the room together. Stayed tuned for the completed project… probably several months from now!

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea board! I like the shaggy rug better, but you are probably right about the cat. I was looking at a tree decal and the same one you are looking at, but of course in blue, but I wasn't sure if birds were on the girly side. We're not painting either so we need to add color to the walls somehow! I'm sure it's super fun to decorate for a girly girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything you picked out, her room is going to be precious!!

    ReplyDelete