Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reflux Sucks!!!

Since we brought Margo home from the hospital, she has been having GI issues... grunting, groaning and struggling all day and night long. First, I thought it was gas and started gas drops with little success. Then, it started to progress to more fussing and spitting up. Margo was diagnosed with reflux and we have been fighting the battle ever since.

We have been on two forms of Prevacid and also a medicine to coat her burning esophagus. She is now on a higher dose of Prevacid and we have another Rx to fill. She is spitting up sometimes 20 times a day and then has BIG throw-ups anywhere between 5-15 times a day. Fortunately, she is still thriving and has actually gained a bit too much weight too fast.

When I brought her home from the hospital as a preemie, the hospital and her pediatrician really stressed fattening her up. I may be have been doing it too agressively because she gained 1.5 lbs in three weeks and she has been eating about 26 ounces a day, which the MD says is more like that of a four month old... oops! I also took her off of my breast milk and have her on lactose free formula which has helped a great deal with the grunting and struggling in her sleep. I am sad that she won't be getting my precious antibodies during RSV and flu season, but am also relieved that she feels better in that sense and it is a relief to not be pumping anymore.

So... instead of filling her new Rx which is supposed to help her empty her belly faster, thus less spitting/throwing up, I am now going to let her tell me when she needs to eat and reduce her feedings to see if that helps. The MD also suggested adding a little rice cereal to her feedings which is supposed to weight down her formula a bit and make it harder to spit up. I think I am going to try that route first instead of putting more chemicals in her body.

Through this process I have started a bad habit with Margo that I SWORE I would not do. She is much more comfortable on her belly and doesn't spit up in that position when she is sleeping. When she is fussy or uncomfortable, I have been letting her sleep on her belly on my chest since she cannot sleep on her belly in bed. I do this about half of the night and sleep little myself. Just this week, I went at least three days with 3 hours or less sleep a night. To say that I am wiped out is an understatement.

I am hoping that some of the new things we try will be a success and we'll start transitioning a healthy/happy baby to her crib in the next few weeks. The MD wants her well and sleeping in her room by three months. Please pray for us as we continue to struggle with the best answer/combination to make our sweet little girl more comfortable.

Poor, Margo, spitting up yet again... she looks a bit like she has fangs--ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you! I hope that beautiful baby gets comfy soon! I pray you find some sleep too! I know it's hard! Love ya'll!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in your position 4.5 years ago with Anna. I was miserable. She was on meds until she was 9 months old. I never thought they helped but there was little else I could do. Just burp her several times while feeding and feed her upright. Also keep her upright for about 20 minutes after feedings. She will outgrow it but life is going to be hard for all of your for a while. Once she starts sitting up on her own it gets better. At about 9 months Anna was a completely different child. Good luck and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete