Saturday, July 31, 2010

Week 30: Rebelling Against Swelling‏

Last weekend was a wonderful trip to my home town, Midland, for my sweet niece, Kayla’s, baby shower. It was such a great time and I loved being with my sisters and beautiful family. I got to eat my favorite Midland fare including Jorge’s, Luigi’s and Murray’s—yum yum yummy! I saw my oldest friend, Stephanie, and had a great visit with my beautiful granny. The only downside is that it was way too short! I wish I didn’t have to save all of my time for maternity leave. Kayla got lots of great stuff at her shower and I got to see her beautiful nursery. She is only two weeks behind me, but as you can see, I am much bigger. This dress is not very flattering now that I am huge and this isn’t a great photo, but I wanted to show the comparison.

My amazing Granny and sister, Shannon

My nephew, John, is growing up too fast... with my sister, Laura

On Sunday before leaving Midland, I noticed my first real episode of ankle swelling and was disappointed that it was already starting. I guess it is here to stay because I have been working hard at rebelling against the swelling, yet my hubby is still calling my feet “clod hoppers”. I have been drinking at least 10 glasses of water a day, plus cranberry juice which is supposed to help. I really haven’t watched my salt intake because I just can’t bear to and I read that it doesn’t really help. I brought my tennis shoes to work because it is just too darn hot outside and the mosquitoes attack me every time I walk out the door. Three times this week I have walked a mile on the bridge between two hospitals and it seems to help. Other than that, I can lay on my side and keep my feet propped under my desk, but I can’t sit/lay down all the time, so I will just deal with it and try not to be depressed about it. It looks disgusting and if I get really bad cankles, I swear, I will die! If things stay as they are and I can keep it relatively under control, I will be okay with it.

One thing that made my all too short trip to Midland a little better this week was that my sister and nieces and nephew ended up coming to Houston for some doctor’s appointments, so I got to spend even more time with them—yaay! I still had to work, but enjoyed meeting them for dinner and having even more quality time with everyone. If you live in Houston and have not been to Tiny Boxwoods, go! It is a little café attached to a plant nursery near River Oaks and is absolutely fabulous. I have been wanting to go forever. We went for dinner and I had a most amazing shrimp dish with risotto. We had great appetizers, salads and the dessert was amazing too! They also have a more casual lunch menu and have brunch on Sundays. I highly recommend it!

This weekend we are working on Margo’s room. We finally got the crib together, so I can’t wait to put her bedding on. The chair is being delivered Sunday and I feel like we are finally making progress. My sister gave me a ton of her old stuff like the swing, bouncy chair and play gym, so I have lots of washing and disinfecting to do. I need to hurry up and get it all done while I have the energy! Only 10 weeks left... I can't believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment